Addresses

MTC Address Mission Address
Sister Katrina Roene Dunn Sister Katrina Roene Dunn
FEB25 PHI-CEB Philippines Cebu Mission
2009 N 900 E Unit 112 Temple Complex-CJCLDS
Provo UT 84602 Gorordo Ave
Lahug, Cebu City
6000 Cebu, Philippines

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

2-0 (Livin' on a Prayer)


You all don't know how lucky you are. You've all had the opportunity to listen to conference... I'm very jealous. We have to wait a week. There's nearly a hundred languages that it is translated into for general conference, and 75 of those 90 odd something languages is translated live during conference. Visaya is one of the 20 languages that... isn't. So we wait a week. It's okay, it makes the anticipation more fun. 

So many of you let me know that it was my birthday, haha. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Big shout out to my 10 year twin in Ohio, happy 3-0! You know who you are... Haha, basta, this week was really good. There was a lot of miracles, and a lot of fun... 

Wednesday: We had made it a weekly goal to get an ice cream so obviously, after email time, we went to McDo and celebrated in style. It was... fabulous. Nothing short. Except for this is how ridiculous we are. We get to McDo and their ice cream machine is broken so... we eat lunch at THAT McDo and then we walk down the street to the other McDo to get our ice cream. Living life the way we do...
That afternoon I worked on BR's for Sister Conjelado and Sister Koyamaibole. They are going to love them, I'm a magician with words. Tears will be brought to their eyes.. jokes, I'm not that good. 

Thursday: The big 2-0... After my shower I went downstairs to see that Sister Quinney had taped two giant polka dot balloons to the wall with a sign above that read "Happy Birthday Sister Dunn, the big 2-0! (Malipayon and adlaw sa imong pagkatawo)". It was really cute. She made me french toast and even put birthday candles in them. Then the wax melted into the bread, but I didn't care. The gesture was so kind. 
Our first lesson was an OST... and neither of the people listening really paid attention, but at the end of the lesson the woman's husband showed up and he seems interested in listening so we are going to try to go back another day.

While tracting around we get to this nice house and it kind of smells like crab and so we started talking to the guy who lives there and he's like "oh it's shark" and then point to his yard where he has like shark fins and strips of shark meat hanging up. We were like "oh, okay, cool".
We found a Less Active who had a stroke a few years ago and is bedridden so we went to visit her. We sang hymns for her, it was really sweet, and the spirit was really strong.
We got HaloHalo my favorite, and then tried to find a woman we had FTE'd earlier in the week. We found her house, but she wasn't home. We'll try again another day.
That night we made mud cups with oreos and sour gummy worms, it was fabulous!
And now I'm 20. I hope you all celebrated. 

Friday: We had to drop an investigator who wasn't coming to church. It was pretty rough. We invited one of the twins to baptism (her sister wasn't home) and she said yes! Next week we're going to try and commit the other Sister. 

Saturday: It's October 3rd... I hope Kaylyn gets my reference. It was women's conference, so we went and got slurpees from 7/11 to celebrate. It was really trunky but we loved every second of it.
That night we went back to Fernando, the man who read from 1 Nephi to Words of Mormon. That night he was already to Alma... He's a rockstar! He's really bright and has a lot of good questions. At the end we invited him to church and he said "No, I don't know enough about you guys yet." and I was like "Brother, you've read half the book of Mormon, you've got to come to church to learn more." and then I just said "We'll wait for you." 

Sunday: Guess who rolled up on his motorcycle before Sacrament meeting. Yea, that's right, Fernando. He stayed all three hours. The spirit really worked on him that night. He was really interested in the Gospel Principles book. 

Monday: We went to District Meeting, and then District Lunch except for there was this massive event happening at Robinson's and I couldn't hear myself think. Also... my year mark since I opened my mission call.. Time FLIES!
We helped one of our investigators hang her laba, and then we taught her, and then she dropped us. We had a strange OST with three old women. Two of them kept talking over us, the other one stayed quiet and listened the whole time. At the end of the OST we invited the quiet one to give the prayer. It was a perfect prayer. 

Tuesday: We were punted all afternoon, it was awful, we were absolutely exhausted but.. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON! Since we were punted so terribly we ended up being in the right place at the right time.. We met Carl. He had investigated the church a few years ago but because he was so busy at work he didn't continue. He got really sick in that amount of time, and told us that he felt like he was thirsty for something more. He started to read the Book of Mormon the Sisters had given him. We talked about scripture and mentioned how we believed in the KJV of the bible. We couldn't teach him right then because his mom wasn't home, but we promised we'd come back later.
We taught our recent convert and then went back and started to teach him. We asked him where we went while he had been waiting for us, he told us "I went down to where there was WIFI so that I could download the KJV bible on my phone" and then he showed us his phone and we were just grinning from ear to ear. We taught the Restoration to him and his mother, it was really amazing.. it was.. fabulous. 

Wednesday: Today is my halfway mark in the mission. 9 months. Oh, we're halfway there, woah oh livin' on a prayer... And I get to spend it with my batch, Sister Quinney. We have a day of activities planned. It's just weird how fast everything goes... I can't believe I've already made it this far. I can't believe that it's been a whole year since I opened my call, and discovered that I was going to the Philippines Cebu Mission, Cebuano speaking.
A lot has changed since last year. For one I'm not in America right now. I lost weight. I speak Visaya. I get to be a representative of Jesus Christ every day. Every time I teach the Restoration I have the feeling that I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Even when I was in my Senior year of high school did I think I would be a missionary. Now I can't imagine doing anything else right now at this point in my life. 

I'm so excited for General Conference this weekend, I'm excited to see what the road map of the next 6 months of my mission will be. I love being a missionary!
Love,
Sister Katrina Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment