Addresses

MTC Address Mission Address
Sister Katrina Roene Dunn Sister Katrina Roene Dunn
FEB25 PHI-CEB Philippines Cebu Mission
2009 N 900 E Unit 112 Temple Complex-CJCLDS
Provo UT 84602 Gorordo Ave
Lahug, Cebu City
6000 Cebu, Philippines

Friday, July 8, 2016

The End of Summer


I started my mission on January 7th, 2015. At that time, I had (i think it was) 544 days till I went home. Now I have 7 days. I first opened my call on October 5th, 2014 in between sessions of General Conference. I have 94 days from that point until I was to report to the MTC and I remember my mom telling me it was going to fly. And it did. 

I remember on Mother's Day, in 2015, I had 1 minute left of my skype call with my family, looking at 7 months of not being able to see their faces ahead of me, and hearing my mom again say "it's going to fly". Next thing I know it's Christmas. I blink one more time, it's Mother's Day again, and now I'm sitting in a little internethan, in Cebu City, while every missionary that walks in says "It's your last p-day right?" 

Sorry, I don't mean to reminisce so much, but it's been a sweet ride. To be honest I didn't want it to fly, but it did. I think every new mission, when they first get to the MTC feels that fear, most of them being away from their family for the first time. I remember as well my first night in the MTC, crying myself to sleep, not knowing how I was going to make it through the second day, let alone the rest of the 18 months I had ahead of me. Now I just laugh about it, and I'm happy whenever I hear of new missionaries going out into the world to serve the Lord.
So that leads me to this week specifically. Happy Birthday Mallory! Happy 4th of July America! I actually saw fireworks on Saturday.. not sure why, but I personally celebrated by watching them for a minute. 

Wednesday: we spent the entire day cleaning the apartment! Not super exciting but boy, did it shine!
Thursday: We had a wonderful day, HenrieLyn worked with us, and we saw miracles. 2 new investigators, and a day PACKED FULL of work. We got to work with some Less actives, and recent converts as well. That evening though we got hit with a huge flash flood. yep, just walking down the street in dirty flood water up to our knees while the rain just pelted us. 

Friday: my (LAST) weekly planning. I was so thrilled. hehe:D We went out, got punted 4 times, got 1 appointment and then... the rains came down and the floods came up.. for 5 hours.. The whole city was hit with bad flash floods. Unfortunately we did not have a house built upon a rock, and ended up getting soaking wet for the rest of the day. Not super pleasant... But we endured. 

Saturday: IT POURED AGAIN!! But we still managed to teach a days worth of lessons. Although like 50% of our FTE's for the day were making fun of us because we were all wet. And our 2 set appointments called and canceled on us. 

Sunday: Fast sunday, my favorite! I bore my testimony, and yea... it was nice. I gave a bunch of my candy away to the little kids at church. And then a british sister missionary in my zone called me Father Christmas. We were punted again, but we had a good day of FTE's. We hit our goal for the week. 

Monday: The district leader asked me to read my call letter in front of the district and explain how I felt about being set apart. "Let's just invite sister Dunn up here, because she's about to go home, not to rub it in or anything". :P
We walk and walk but punted anyways. so, okay...we were walking up the hill and we look forward and see two missionaries and I was thinking "wait, this is our area, who is that...?" and then they got closer and I saw that it was sister tago and I just started running and we hugged and it was super cool. Last time I get to see her.

We've started teaching this new part member family, and the daughter in law is super good. She understands so fast, and asks a lot of questions, and I'm really enjoying teaching her!
We ended up at Nanay Santiago's calendaria and we were sitting there and another LA showed up and it was perfect, because she's never at her house when we go by, but the Lord created an opportunity for us to teach her anyways.
Two sets of STL's stayed at our house and they brought us pizza from the MLC sister's meeting.. yes!! 

Tuesday: I didn't feel so hot but we went out to work, and we hit our goals anyways!

So this is my last email as a missionary.. i think... so I'll share my last thoughts I guess. I was trying to find the perfect scripture to share this week and I just kept thinking and thinking and I decided there is no perfect scripture, because this work is described in so many different verses. I thought about 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" and also I really liked 1 Thessalonians 1:5 “For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.” which are both good scriptures. I have let myself change for this time that I've been given. I've tried to be the very best, so I could be effective. 

But the verses I liked the most is actually an entire chapter. 2 Corinthians 4. I read it this morning just feeling like... happy with what I've accomplished. "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." 

I have tried to see the eternal things. I have seen the impact the Savior has had on my life. I know he lives. I know his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true and living church on the earth. I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and that through him this church was restored. I know President Thomas S. Monson is his servant today, and I know that the Book of Mormon is true. 

I'm grateful for the Philippines Cebu Mission that changed my life :D
I love being a missionary (because this is only the beginning)
-Sister Katrina Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment